Symbiosis, in cooperation with the Hellenic Foundation for European and Foreign Policy (ELIAMEP), organized the workshop “Learning from your Neighbour”, whereby participants had the chance of visiting various NGOs and meeting with important stakeholders of Thessaloniki. The project analyzed the political participation and activism of young women in Thessaloniki, and explored concerns of, gender equality, citizenship rights, migrant integration and media freedom. Through workshops and talks given by activists, policy makers and journalists, young girls were introduced to a regional network of women tackling problems related to citizenship and mobilization. Moreover, the project fostered solidarity through the exchange of ideas, information, experiences and plans, and the recognition of their affiliation to a specifically Balkan model of political organization.
Activities and topics covered by the workshop included:
- A visit to Antigone (Information and Documentation Centre on Racism, Ecology, Peace and non-violence) – Workshops on Gender and Citizenship for Youth Action
- A visit to Symbiosis – Presentation by Despina Syrri on “Thessaloniki and its multifarious past and present”
- A visit to the Arsis – Presentation by Valbona Hystuna on “Women migrants in Greece – Women migrant associations for youth education”
- A presentation by Kalipso Goula, Municipal Councilor of Thessaloniki on “Gender in Politics”
- A workshop on Media Training: “Basic skills on making stories’ (journalism) and ‘How to present diversity”, by Ljubisa Vrencev and Despina Syrri